Words From The Girls Behind The Lens: Ethel


First of all, how did you get started with photography?
I got started with photography when i was 7 years old. I flew alone on a plane from Uganda to Canada to be reunited with my mother. During the two day flight I was under the care of the flight attendants and one of them had a polaroid camera. Whenever I was bored I would go over to the back of the plane, they would show me how the camera worked and we would take polaroid photos one after another. From there on I grew such a strong love for the camera. After arriving to Canada, every Christmas I asked for nothing else besides a camera. My dad had a camcorder that he let me keep, my mom had many film cameras that  would use and I eventually got a little point and shoot camera that was my own. When I was 16 I saved up and bought my first DSLR which I still use, a canon t3i. My camera equipment is not the greatest but i use it the best i can. I shoot with a 50mm 1.8 lens. My dream equipment would have to be a canon 6d or 5d and 35mm 1.4 but of course that is too expensive. After all when it comes to the art of photography it is not the equipment of camera you use but how you use them, so I am just fine with what i have.


I have been taking conceptual photos since I was 12 and I never shared any until my grade 11 photography teacher submitted my work into my school's art show. From there I started gaining a lot of recognition from my schoolmates and grade 12 students asked me to take their prom photos. From there I entered an art competition where I placed first in the photography category and even won 2 “Best photography of the year” Awards. I then was even asked to shoot my first wedding which I shot back in 2015. Since then iIput the camera down for a while due to illness and deleted all of my old photography accounts but I have slowly been trying to get back into putting my work out there as it is something that truly brings me the most joy!


You've taken a few amazing self-portraits. What is it about this format that inspires you?
I love taking self portraits because I get to be in control of where the camera is positioned and how the photo comes out. It is my way of self expression.  Many people express themselves through music, paintings, drawings and for me, I use photography. I can create absolutely anything I want with photography . I enjoy finding little props and brain storming of ways I can turn them into concepts in my photos. I do like the side of photography where people are smiling and the sun is shining but I also like the deep side of photography, the side that speaks and grabs attention.


What is the process behind creating photographs like your "change and transformation" picture surrounded by butterflies or "there's plenty of fish in the sea”?

Change and transformation is about my current ongoing journey with Lyme disease and trying to see a light in it. It is a hard battle that me and many people I know have been fighting for years. Like a butterfly, I believe that one day we will finally be set free from so called cocoon called Lyme disease. This disease is too often misdiagnosed, many of us we're left untreated and undiagnosed for years and are now suffering through late stage lyme with absolutely no help. Doctors cannot treat us if your illness persists without jeopardizing their medical licences so looking for treatment is far, expensive and an absolute challenge. Many of us travel from Canada to New York just to see a doctor that will privately treat us. The only issue is these doctors do not take insurance so treatment is all out of pocket.  Lyme disease has become a global epidemic. I try to hold onto hope and I believe things will change soon.

Where would you like to see your photography take you?

I used to want to study photography and I got accepted into Ryerson university for image arts and OCAD University for graphic design. Although I did not end up accepting these offers I still love  the thing I love doing. It brings me so much joy. I want to create photos that people can relate too, photos that make people feel something. I only just picked up my camera again this year so it will take a while until I can take an amazing photo. I have a lot of pain from lyme disease so sometimes I am in too much pain to take pictures. But when I can, I set up my tripod and allow my creativity to flow. Photography is my happiness and I'm so happy to be doing it again. I love it so much, i don’t mind where it takes me. I do also love photographing models along with my conceptual photography, so one other dream i have is working with magazines.

Follow Ethel on Instagram here and you can also follow my account if you'd like. 

Comments

Popular Posts