Time For Saying Yes: My experience with Aerial Yoga


       I'm not one for leaving my comfort zone often. I love my little circle of things I know and am at ease with and I find it really hard to exit that little circle confidently. However, while I am pro-comfort zone (because what's so wrong with having a place where you feel comfortable and makes you feel safe?) I do think it's important to exit that zone once in a while, dip your toes into unknown and uncomfortable waters, just to see what good can come out of it. That's why I decided to try Aerial Yoga. It's something I've wanted to try for a while now, as I'm huge fan of yoga in general as a workout, it looks cool and fun and it's good for people who have problems with their joints - like yours truly. I held off on trying it for so long, because I am not a fan of working out in front of others and, in general, looking like a fool is something I dread with every part of my being. It can be a really isolating feeling, but the reality is, so many people feel this way. Afraid of embarrassing themselves in front of others and that fear keeps them from trying different things that would bring them joy and fulfilment. I decided I didn't want to be one of those people and I was going to go for it.

       It was so, so worth it. Not only was it an amazing workout, but even when I did mess up - which happened a lot - I just had to remind myself that it was my first time doing it and you can't expect to be amazing at something on the first try. The teacher, and the one who brought Aerial Yoga to Portugal, was incredibly nice and made me feel at ease. Sure, there were scary moments and moments of uncertainty and fear, but in the end, I had such a great time that it was all worth it. To think that I could've deprived myself of that experience out of fear of embarrassing myself makes me sad and trying something new has made me promise myself to say yes to more things. Saying yes to new adventures, going out with friends, trying new foods, reading different books... Just saying yes more often and to good, positive things. My new mid-year challenge. Let's see how it works out. 

Comments

Popular Posts