Cheer Up Luv: The Faces Of Sexual Harassment

I was walking down the street with the dog, and a man shouts at me, "Oi, show us your tits! - Michaela
How and why did the project "Cheer Up Luv" start? 
Cheer Up Luv started as a product of one too many cat calls and inappropriate experiences in public spaces. It also sparked from a conversation with my girlfriends, when we were swapping sexual harassment stories and only then, realised how common it is, and that men aren't even aware that they are doing it. 

I was defending a teenage boy who was being sexually harassed by an older man at 4pm at a bus stop. He followed us onto he bus and then when I stood up and told him to leave the boy alone, he punched me and knocked me up against the window. - Bel
"Cheer Up Luv" targets both London and NYC. What similarities and what differences have you seen from women's stories in both cities? 
The stories are very similar. The most common similarity is girls being targeted at a young age, especially in school uniforms.  School girls are fetishised and thats why we seem to experience so much harassment at a young age. By the time you are 22, frustrating as it is, you are used to white vans beeping their horn at you and being heckled on the street. 

I love that you're putting a literal face to sexual harassement! Is it difficult to get women involved with the project or do you find them eager to tell their stories? 
I have found that nearly everyone I have asked has been keen to share a story, and happy to raise awareness for the cause. The most depressing thing is, is that every girl I have asked has had a story of sexual harassment to tell.

At a pub I was working at, this guy who was maybe in his mid 30s and friends with the managers, constantly harassed me. Asking me out and saying he'll "destroy me". One of the nights we were staying after, having some drinks with some of the other staff and he was continually putting his hand up my legs. He was trying to get in my skirt and saying I was a pussy for not sleeping with him. - Noga 🍟


What do you hope people remember after they've visited your page? 

I'm hoping that by sharing my photographs of these strong women, I am empowering them and giving their experiences a voice. Ultimately I want the photographs and stories to inspire men to be more conscious of their behaviour towards women, and be aware that this is happening. 

Comments

Popular Posts