Self-care Routine

I read an article the other day saying that millenials (I gag as I type the word millenial) spent too much time and money on self-care. Older folks love to tell us what we spend too much time and money on. They are against our avocado toast and our lattes, even the fact that we enjoy travelling. Now it's taking care of our bodies and minds that they've decided to have an issue with. I call the whole thing ridiculous, because it is. Self-care is super important in a world that is constantly putting us down. Our lives are stressful and we are facing challenges that our parents and grandparents didn't have to deal with years and years ago. I think it's important that, unlike our parents, we have learnt and are committed to taking care of ourselves and taking the times to be in touch with our bodies and our emotions.

After an incredibly stressful semester and finishing the final, most important essay, of my course, I have an evening of self-care, nurturing my body and my mind and decided to share my rituals with you guys. 
First, off to do a facemask and paint my nails. Due to stress, my skin has been acting up and spots have been erupting all over my chin. This Honey and Oats gentle exfoliating masks from The Body Shop - which has been discontinued, unfortunately - is one of my favourite to soothe my skin and give it a little glow, all while softening it up a bit. It's a really good all-rounder, and I love the way my skin feels after using it. Then, I'm off to paint my nails. I find painting my nails a really relaxing thing, for some reason. Just focusing on this little task clears my mind up for a bit and makes me feel more put together.
 Then, dessert. This little concoction is broken up chewy suspiros - a typical portuguese dessert - with strawberries and Nutella. Suspiros are usually crunchy, but my mom makes amazing chewy ones. Break them apart, throw some berries and chocolate on top and it's the perfect, easy, delicious sweet treat to give yourself after a period of stress. It's super simple and I love it. 
The last thing I do to truly unwind is to dive into a book. This one is from my Summer Reading List, "We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It's a very easy, summery book about a girl and her group of summer friends. It has some family drama, some personal drama, some love drama, all sprinkled with specs of sunshine and salt water. Reading is one of my favourite things to do to relax. Your mind empties itself and focus on the words and characters and plot and everything else is left behind. Having had no time to read this semester, I'm enjoying every single second to do it now. 

Comments

Popular Posts