Importance of Leaving Your House

Often times, for those of us, who suffer from mental illnesses or are just home-bodies in general, leaving the house can seem like a huge tasks, almost daunting and intimidating. You just want to stay put in the comfort of your own home, without leaving or avoiding human contact for days. While this may seem convenient, it's extremely detrimental to your mental health. Leaving the house, going to a café, meeting with friends or even by yourself, can really lighten up your mood and make you feel happier and more relaxed if you're having a string of bad days. Shutting yourself off of the world only has negative consequences, as you isolate yourself even further and bottle up your emotions. This past week, I've not been feeling my best. I am a big home body, but am now suffering from the realisation that being at home for too many days in a row is detrimental to my mental health and I can't keep doing it. So, I went for a little adventure with one of my best friends, just for a few hours and left feeling great. We explored a lovely part of the city, caught some sun rays, drank a yummy cocktail and had a few laughs. Overall, just having those couple of hours of leaving the house and making my mind do a different thing made me feel great and lifted me from the funk I was digging myself into. For so many people in our generation, where so many of us are doing most of our work on our computers, working freelance and for ourselves, we can have a tendency to never leave the house. But this is extremely unhealthy and even if you have a job that requires you to spend a lot of time at your computer, trying taking your computer outside to a little café or library where you'll be with other individuals and not by yourself the whole day. Even if you do end up spending most of the day inside, take a little break and go for a walk on your neighbourhood or grab a quick treat. Closing yourself off from the world can be good for a couple of days, but more than is not good for you or your little head. 

Comments

Popular Posts