Summer Reading List


As a Literature student, during the semester you don't really get to do much reading for pleasure. The majority of books that fly through your hands are University related and if you end up falling in love with them, then great! If you don't, but still have to read them, then... It sucks. I set a bit of a "New Year's Resolution" this year, to read a least one book per month that I wanted to read and that I truly enjoyed - not school related. Unfortunately, things weren't so great in the beginning of the year and the last thing on my mind were books. As school work began to pile on, my reading for pleasure resolution went straight down the toilet.

However, now that I am done with classes and the stress of exams, I can finally dig in to the all the amazing books I brought with me from Glasgow that I have been dying to read and, if all goes well, you'll be getting a few reviews from this pile of goodness.

The first one I'm already diving into is "We Were Liars" by E. Lockhart. It's a summery novel, that promises many twists and turns, so perfect for the month of June, while the warmer months are truly kicking in. The next one I know I want to put my eyeballs on is "The Sellout" by Paul Beatty. I flirted with this novel on the bookshelves for weeks before I went ahead and bought it. It has been described as American satire and a good one, at that. In the current political climate, an African-American author's musings on the country seem like the way to go. The third one is "The Life Changing Magic of Not Giving a Fuck" by Sarah Knight. Yes. Yes. Yes. I remember when "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up" swept up the Internet and, as a messy person, I remembered thinking: that book must be utter bollocks. So, I was truly chuffed to see its more refreshing and down to earth, even though they are not affiliated, counterpart on the bookshelves and as someone who needs to give less fucks I went ahead and bought it.

Up next are books that I bought for truly vain reasons. "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" sounded beautiful and upon further inspection sounded deeply interesting as well. Musings on love and heartbreak? Sign me up for some head nodding and tears. "After Me Comes The Flood" has a beautiful, bright blue cover, the type of aesthetics that pulls me in. The story is about someone who leaves their whole life behind - those types of stories will always, always find a reader in me. Let's hope they're good and see you in a review! 

Comments

Popular Posts